So much drama.

Welcome to the whimsical and fantastical world of moi. A Media Assistant by day and a superhero by night. I have an affinity for brooding vampires and unique ideas.

Here you will find no answers, only more questions. I like to think of this as an epiphany in progress.





Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yes Chef!



MasterChef - officially annoying me since 2009. Don’t get me wrong, the premise and execution is something Freemantle Media and Channel Ten should be proud of. It has been the highest rating show in Australia for the past two years and has a loyal following of an average 1.2 million viewers per episode.
So you wouldn’t want to change it right? The old saying ‘why fix what ain’t broke’ comes to mind.
But I reckon Channel Ten were thinking more along the lines of what would happen if you were to expand a property that has blown competition out of the water. Ladies and Gentlemen I present Junior MasterChef which is airing its premiere episode as I write this. And I’m watching it. Call me a hypocrite if you must but the promotion of this new series has me intrigued. When I was 12 I was trying to cook crazy shit that I forced down my parent’s throats. They’d smile and tell me how amazing it was – never mind that at times they’d be up all night in the bathroom. Did I do it on purpose? Maybe, it’s all a little bit of blur.

My biggest concern at the ages of the kids on this show (8-12 year olds) was how to not get picked on at school and passing maths (never happened in case you were wondering). And yet here before me are 50 amazing little individuals who are putting my mashed potato that I just made to shame.

But there is an inherent risk in tampering with successful shows. This was evident when Ten produced Celebrity MasterChef. It did ok but couldn’t hold it’s own against its predecessor. As I watch this however I do not fear what numbers I will see at work tomorrow – I see big numbers and number one positions across key buying demos that media agencies base their strategies on. With sponsors including Sunbeam, Smarties and Kellogg’s – there are also companies out there who believe in the success of JMC.

I can only hope that I don’t grow tired of this show too soon. Because if a 12 year old can do it, then I’m about to have no excuse.

Peace,

Moi

No comments:

Post a Comment